

Minutes of NGOC Committee Meeting 12 December 2018

Present: Carol Stewart, Tom Mills, Stephen Robinson, John Fallows, Tom Cochrane, Pat MacLeod, Paul Taunton, Kim Liggett, Greg Best, Hilary Nicholls, Rhiannon Fadeyibi, Simon Denman, Ashleigh Denman, Steve Lee

1. **Apologies:** Shirley Robinson
2. **Minutes of the previous meeting:** The minutes of the 10th September 2018 meeting were accepted.
3. **Matters arising:**
4. Chairmans report – Soudley reeve re-mapping has been carried out as per the report and this area could be used for a 50th Anniversary event.
5. Membership is up. Privacy Notice circulated and approved by committee members and to be loaded to the NGOC website.
6. Website content updates by Tom C as the new communications officer, and also to look at newsletters, promoting events etc.
7. Problem sourcing new tentpoles to replace broken ones. Few more problems with SI units, battery drain is still the cause. Kit is being checked and items no longer needed removed which includes an overprinter. No updates to NGOC website for 4 to 5 years, is a refresh needed. **Tom C** to look over the website to see what could be updated or moved to make it more use friendly as no change in the last 4/5 years.
8. Recent safety workshop taken on by Pete Ward went well. Hilary to arrange another for NGOC members and invite out to SWOA members as well.
9. Compass Sport venues put to committee and decided to enter Bently Woods in the Midlands.
10. Galloper January, 30 volunteers needed, spreadsheet to be created for volunteers and roles.
11. Recruiting for Middle Distance race to find an organiser.
12. Greg has a new area to map in the Barrow Wake area which could be linked to the adjacent area and then used for events in 2020
13. Paul has emailed the Land Agent at Lydney Park Estate regarding the proposed use and mapping of the estate. Nothing to report back to the meeting at the moment.
14. Long Yellow course to be introduced to league events where they will work best. Charge of £7.00 to non bof runners and dibber hire. Leaflets/flyers when available could be put out on car screens. Separate information attached.
15. Junior Shadowing at league events – It is the club's responsibility to check that a person is appropriate to shadow. There is no age limit but it must be with the consent of the parent. Proposed to prepare a tick box form for use with children and adults for a log of runners shadowed. Since introducing shadowing there are now runners happy to run on their own. At least 3 members have agreed to shadow for next year. **Pat** to include a shadowing check

box on the registration form and this would be included on the results. Hilary to put a shadowing notice on the website.

16. Rhiannon put forward her ideas on how to encourage volunteers. She proposed that volunteers be named together with the roles they helped out with be posted onto the website within the event details. Also as an incentive volunteers have free parking where applicable or free drink in the café. Pat to add to the event page.

17. League prizes, Carol to hand out cash prizes to the winners when they attend an event.

18. Any other business:

Hilary has requested pictures of night orienteering for the website to help promote the night events.

Pat – Alan Honey has been in touch, SWOA are hosting the SWOA middle distance on 30th March 2019.

Event to be added to March events list.

Possible role for Steve identified as taking over as website manager/technical taking over from Eddie.

Georgia Jones of OROX Exeter university orienteering has been in contact.

She would like to arrange a weekend stay in the Forest of Dean for university students to take part in some orienteering. Pat to contact Maggie.

19. Next Meeting Monday 4th March 2019

REPORTS

Name: Tom Mils

Role: Chairman

Period covered: April-June 2018

In Role: Nothing

Tasks Completed:

Approached Rhiannon to be new Volunteer Coordinator who kindly agreed and will join the committee on June 11th.

Approached Steve to join committee as a member without portfolio who kindly agreed and will also be with us on the 11th.

Email on both new members sent to all committee members

Clarified the role of Craig Anthony re FC access issue. He is relinquishing any further involvement passing the baton to the 2 clubs, NGOC and BOK.

Tasks progressing:

Club Captain.

Whilst not the central owner of the following 3 issues, enquiries have been made regarding the following:

Data protection and the BOF NDA. This seems from two very superficial enquiries to be either overkill or that BOF are more aware of requirements than some other groups with far more sensitive data being shared with volunteers. I am confused by the need for this as on the radio a representative from the ICU stated that "smaller agencies and businesses should not be worried as long as they show intent". For discussion.

Independent Orienteer's and insurance cover. It would seem that Data Protection restricts the holding of historical data to the point where event results are sent to BOF. On this basis it will not be possible to track how many events these orienteers have attended thus the problem has been removed. For discussion.

BOF have not got back to me with the club that have invoked a policy of registering independents as BOF members after 3 events. Despite this there is no reason why we could not use some similar method as a tool to recruit with no particular eye on any insurance attendance requirements out of our control.

Other: David Watson had a very candid chat with me regarding the perceived 'barriers to entry' in the club. For discussion.

Assisting Steve with Minchinhampton event.

Name: Greg Best

Role: Permissions and Officials Recruitment

Period Covered: Apr 18 – May 18

IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

Tasks Progressing

- Various event permissions for 2018 on-going.
- Still trying to progress the issues with the FC re. parking

Tasks Planned

- More of the same.

NOT IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- Conversion to ISOM2017 now complete of my maps (Crickley, Cleeve, Leckhampton and Cranham/Sheepscombe).
- Chalford event
- The annual review of the gorse on the Cleeve map, with input from Ellie, the ecologist who manages this.
- Meeting with the Forestry Commission “Active Forest” manager on 8th June – she has invited us to meet with her. Will discuss outcome at the committee meeting.

Tasks Progressing

- New lidar version of the Painswick map nearing completion. Will definitely be ready for the event in September.
- Finishing off mapping of some nice woods on the western fringe of the Chalford map.

Tasks Planned

- Some updates to Cranham map for the October event there

Name: Paul Taunton

Role: Mapping

Period Covered – 10 Apr 2018 to 5 June 2018

IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- Printed maps for:
 Chepstow Harriers Maprun (payment £30 received)
 League 4, Chalford Urban, 29 April
 UK Urban League, Ross-on-Wye, 5 May
 Street Challenge 1, Newent, 31 May
 Street Challenge 2, Longlevens, 7 June
 ***Note:** Pat has printed training/Maprun event maps*

Tasks Progressing

- Received adverse comment from David May re print quality of NGOC urban maps compared to those professionally printed by BML. Criticism valid. Commenced a detailed (and time consuming) reassessment of our printing and identified some deficiencies in maps, software and process (but hardware appears OK). Currently working to improve this. Longlevens maps do appear somewhat improved. Yet to apply colour corrections, as awaiting hard-copy offset-litho printed colour swatches from BOF.

Tasks Planned (but not yet started)

- Maps for Street Challenge 3, Hatherley, to be printed circa 14 June
- Last applied to BOF for “approved club printer” status circa 5 years ago (with old printer) – not approved. Will reapply once printer readjustments complete.
- Print maps for subsequent NGOC events
- Updating of more of our existing maps to ISOM2017 mapping standard currently stalled as too busy.

NOT IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- Delivered my revised “Planning an NGOC Local Event” training presentation at Soudley village hall on 14 April. Designed to make planning of new 6-course League easier and ensure consistent standards.
- Informal control checking of BOK Army event at Brierley on 5 June, 3 dog walks. Note: FC required a last-minute re-plan as four controls lost to forestry work areas and two to exclusion areas around nesting Goshawks.

Tasks Progressing

- Controller, VHI Relays, September 2018 – one visit so far. Planning/checking of gaffled courses, and allocation of particular gaffles to teams, has been made easier by recent improvements to PPEN.

Tasks Planned (but not yet started)

- Need to establish another date/venue for planning training, as attendance at last training day was lower than we had hoped.
- Tom Dobra asked me to control a ranking Pre-O associated with the British Middle Champs in September – declined, mainly because close to date of VHI, unless he is unable to find another volunteer.)

Name: Hilary Nicholls

Role: Committee Member (Committee1@ngoc.org.uk)

Period Covered: April/May 2018

IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed:

- Booked tables at inaugural Quiz night 24th April
- As we won, booked tables for return on 8th May to spend our winnings

Tasks Progressing:

- NGOC Summer Weekend Away – sent out Gower weekend email to all members.
- Compass Sport Cup Eliminator round Sun 17th March 2019: scouted around LTH.

- Compass Sport Cup Eliminary round March19: 18/5/18 visited Cinderford Town Council re use of Steam Mills Recreation Ground. As requested, emailed contact with event details. Fortuitous as Play Areas meeting due at the end of the month.

NOT IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed:

- Requested email address via Eddie MacLarnon
- Assisted at R2T2 4th May.
- Assisted at Ross Urban 5th May.

Tasks Progressing:

Name: Ashleigh Denman

Role: Welfare Officer

BOF have started sending out a regular bulletin to all welfare officers and I have received the first one, May 2018.

It covers the following areas:

- The Child Protection in Sport Unit (CPSU) is a partnership between the NSPCC and Sport England. The CPSU works with National Governing Bodies (NGBs), County Sports Partnerships (CSPs) and other organisations to help them minimise the risk of child abuse during sporting activities. The CPSU Annual Review is an audit of British Orienteering's Safeguarding Practices. This year several factors, not least allegations of historical abuse in sport, has led to a tightening up of these standards. One outcome of the review is an implementation plan which details actions that British Orienteering needs to take on safeguarding over the next 12 months. This will happen at all levels of the organisation and includes the Board, the National Office, the regions and the clubs.
- Overnight accommodation policy, particularly around the area of young athletes, is being revised and updated.
- Examples of good practice are requested and I will send any in that we have in the future.
- Training opportunities are highlighted.
- Useful contact details are contacted, particularly the British Orienteering safeguarding email address, which is safeguarding@britishorienteering.org.uk

NAME: Judith Austerberry

ROLE: Legend Editor

The next issue (due at the end of this month) is looking very spartan indeed, so if anyone has an article/photo/anything to put in there it would be much appreciated.

Greg suggested having a regular feature about mapping - new maps being worked on, updating of older maps etc so that club members can get an idea of all the work that people put in to mapping. However, no one seems to know who would be best placed to collate this information ... any suggestions?

Since I stopped orienteering it's become increasingly difficult for me to do Legend, so I will cease editing it in December. I'll put a notice in the next couple of issues to this effect in case anyone wants to volunteer to take over.

NAME: Pat MacLeod

ROLE: Equipment and Development Officer

Period Covered May-June 2018

IN EQUIPMENT ROLE:

- Tasks Completed
- Purchase of various items of equipment to make up a schools day kit for Gill Stott, overall cost about £140. The purpose of this is to enable Gill to organise the schools activities without having to plan and obtain the necessary kit from me. It consists mainly of plastic stakes, tape, and small control boards(similar to the Street series ones but made of aluminium, which can display any code, question etc that the school/event requires.
- Completed the replacement of stake bases with the new ones, though some stakes still have the incorrect older ones.
- Tasks in Progress
Continuing SI checks. This s becoming a real problem, and we need to agree what options we have to address the problem.

Tasks Planned

None

IN DEVELOPMENT ROLE

Tasks Complete

- Provide a new map to the Tom Roberts Adventure centre, Newent, in response to a request for help with establishing an orienteering capability for the centre.
- Created a map course around Newent Lake for Steph Moreland, Freedom Leisure community activities leader for the Forest of Dean.
- Delivered planner/organiser training day, with Paul Taunton, to 7 'students'
- Ran R2T2-1 as part of the OMM Lite weekend. Not a great turnout – about 20 runners/riders, but useful to have a presence at the main event.
- Registration as a maprun administrator, which means that I can now load and modify my own courses on the maprun system.

Tasks in Progress

- Christchurch POC. Still no progress
- R2T2 event planning. Having some difficulty with FC permissions for R2T2-2, but minded to cancel anyway as no pre-entries as at 9 June, and it is far to much work to put these on for almost no takers. I had hoped after last year's initial interest – about 70 for each of 2 events – that the series would pick up, but it seems there is little interest, and such marketing as we did last year is no longer happening
- Running the maprun series
- Mapping Lightning Tree Hill. Although progress has stiopped for the summer, I am greatly encouraged by what I have found, and I think it will be a good venue for a couple of large events

Tasks Planned

- More maprun courses
- Different maprun formats – linear, bike, long distance

NOT IN ROLE

- Tasks completed
- Helped with lots of events!
- Ran a session with BOK mappers to show them how I create ISSOM base maps.
- Took over and ran BOK Army Summer Score event when the planner was injured.

Tasks in Progress

Tasks Planned

- Acting as assistant start manager at British Sprint Champs – Bath University, 1 September 2018. I will need to recruit as many NGOC volunteers as I can for this. The club will get payment for our involvement, based on how many bodies we provide.

