

REPORTS: COMMITTEE MEETING 1st JUNE 2020 (During Covid-19)

Name: Tom Mills

Role: Chairman

Period covered: March- June 2020

In Role:

The Chairman's Challenge. A small start in the type of event and some armchair planning however given the very slim chance of the social taking place, even if the event itself is approved the venue might not be. If this is the case the parking will not be available. I will do the check of terrain and tagging much nearer the date. One option is that the challenge is delayed until a time when people can congregate again.

A Chairman's Challenge. This is the random number sprint option emailed to the committee. A total of 4 'competitors' plus myself and 1 scheduled have participated. Longest distance so far is 9.6K with c 200 metres of climb. This may well be the only CC this year subject to government guidelines.

Lydney Park Estate. As Chairman I wrote to them just as lockdown came into operation. The purpose was to bring to their attention that they via Savills had reached an agreement with NGOC for the mapping to go ahead with all of the attendant costs. I wanted to get a meeting to discuss this and see if there was any room for manoeuvre and compromise. It is no big surprise that I have heard nothing back but I still intend to pursue this issue if only to see if we can get some financial satisfaction in respect of costs incurred. Not too optimistic.

Tasks Progressing.

If it can be called progressing, Controlling Black Down up to the penultimate check then lock down came into effect. The event is rescheduled into next year.

Name: Ashleigh Denman

Role: Welfare

Chris Corke has recently taken on the lead Safeguarding Officer role at British Orienteering.

An amended version of the O-Safe policy is now on the website -

<https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/keydocuments>

Under the current circumstances there has been range of online learning provision, resources and information produced/updated as follows:

- [Child Protection in Sport Unit \(CPSU\) Covid-19 and Safeguarding in Sport Update](#)
- [Adult Safeguarding and COVID-19 Guidance](#)
- [CPSU Club Welfare Officer Webinar Update \(recording\)](#)
- [CPSU Mental Health & Wellbeing Updated Resource Page](#)
- [CPSU Safeguarding at Sports Events Podcast](#)
- The UK Coaching/NSPCC Safeguarding & Protecting Children course is now being delivered through an online classroom. Session dates/times can be found [here](#)

Name: Alan Brown
Role: Legend Editor

An “ordinary” issue of Legend in April (30 pages) and a 50th Anniversary Special in May (20 pages of old maps, results sheets etc). Have had favourable comments on both issues, hopefully not just because no real orienteering is available. Have emailed issues to Father Aidan Murray SDB (=Salesians of Don Bosco) who replied immediately that he was looking forward to reading it.

Forest Challenge:

The lack of real orienteering has renewed interest in the board game. Four copies donated as prizes to Chris Smithard’s virtual orienteering competitions; this provided publicity for the game and listed “Forest Challenge” as a sponsor. 18 sold (including one to a lady in Gdansk – who also bought an Urban game). To forestall problems with payment and the postal service I sent files free to 文煜栋 in China. Also sent a sample to an outdoor adventure establishment in County Monaghan but hopes of a large order are rapidly fading! Was running out of “raw materials” so had to buy in a lot of paper and card but still paid more into the NGOC bank account than was claimed in expenses. Have a dozen games in stock and plenty of material to make more so will try another sales push near Christmas, after putting the price up by a pound.

Name: Tom Cochrane
Role: Communications

In role:

Continuing with email updates: there's been less news during lockdown so these have been less frequent (currently every two weeks).
Occasional website updates.

Not in role:

Generated all-Gloucestershire map from the new LiDAR data, and put it online. It's had good interest: I've fielded queries from members of BOK, DVO and OD on how it was generated and whether they could use the methods for their base maps.

Mapped bits of Cheltenham (Benhall Park & Woods and areas of Hatherley). This forms part of the overall Cheltenham map alongside Greg's recent mapping of the town centre, and my Pittville area map from 2018. It overlaps with the NW of the existing Hatherley map, but in ISSprOM sprint map format where the existing map is in the 'suburban' style.

Name: Greg Best
Role: Fixtures
Period Covered: Mar 20 – May 20

IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- Arranged access permissions for events that have taken place lately (i.e. just Cranham CSC event!)
- After the discussion at the last meeting, I have replaced organiser contact details on BOF's website with the new generic email address, events@ngoc.org.uk. This means that future event enquiries will arrive in Hils' inbox and she will either answer them herself or forward them to the relevant organiser.

Tasks Progressing

- Various other event permissions for 2020 on-going. Although of course currently stalled for obvious reasons. This includes several event applications to the FC, but they have responded that no applications will be processed until further notice. This may cause us problems once we are able to get going again.
- Liaising with BOK for their BOK Trot event at Coopers/Cranham next February. No further action since last meeting – waiting to hear from BOK
- As reported last time, 5 people have agreed to take the controllers course later this year, to help share the controlling burden. Clive Caffall will lead the course, but this is also delayed.

Tasks Planned

- Various event permissions, as usual.
- Work out a feasible fixture schedule for the remainder of this year and eventually, one for next year
- To contact the 2 St Edwards schools in Cheltenham, to request access to their grounds for summer urban events. Put on hold due to Coronavirus
- Follow-up meeting with the Forestry Commission regarding permissions policy. Currently on-hold because of Coronavirus.

NOT IN ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- Completed Cheltenham town centre mapping

Tasks Progressing

- Organising and controlling Racecourse sprint event, in partnership with Tom C who is mapping and planning. Unlikely now to happen this year sadly.
- Organising Barrow Wake league event. This should have been in April. The event is ready to go if there is suddenly a green light, but permission is only until the end of June. Otherwise, it will be next spring.
- Planning/organising the Cheltenham urban event scheduled for June. This is ready to fit in whenever green light given.
- Carried out a more detailed recce of Newent Woods. The area looks very promising and should provide us with a good new large venue. This follows outline permission from Huntley Estate for us to hold events there. The next step is to investigate possible parking options, as this could prove a problem. If this is positive then I would be happy to work on the map.
- Cleeve Hill map update. I have updated the gorse after the completion of the annual winter gorse-cutting. There is now new lidar data available that covers the whole of the area and this was very helpful in updating the gorse. I have also used this data to improve the contours, although we have decided for now to not re-make the contours for the most complex areas, apart from any bits we identify as being significantly wrong.
- Carried out a recce of Bredon Hill. I think this would make a very good orienteering area with lots of natural humps and hollows, plus old quarries, a hill fort and the earthworks of an old castle. Next task is to check with HOC whether they'd be happy for us to map it, since it is just over the border in Worcestershire. Pretty much the whole area is a SSSI (with part of it being a NNR), so will also check with Natural England whether they'd be happy in principle for us to hold events there. After that, it will be a case of working out who the landowners are and trying to get permission.

Name: Pat MacLeod

Role: Equipment and Development Officer

Period Covered March-June 2020

IN EQUIPMENT ROLE:

Tasks Completed

- None

Tasks in Progress

- None

Tasks Planned

- None

IN DEVELOPMENT ROLE

Tasks Complete

- Created maprun Start Anywhere courses from the Beat the Trail courses, plus a couple of requests from non-club maprunners

Tasks in Progress

- None

Tasks Planned

- None

NOT IN ROLE

Tasks completed

- Delivered 2 webinars for British Orienteering on maprun

Tasks in Progress

- Supporting a large number of clubs and individuals around the UK and Eire while they get started with maprun
- Third webinar for BO on use of OCAD for maprun
- Helping Dave Andrews prepare Tidenham Chase maprun
- Experimenting with maprun versions of previous forest O courses. Using Lightmoor (2020 L2) as a pilot

Tasks Planned

- Publishing more forest maprun courses, if there is demand for them.
- Starting work on BNOC2021 when circumstances allow

Name: Shirley Robinson

Role: Club Captain

British Orienteering are still hopeful that the relays can be re-scheduled for the autumn and are holding off making refunds until such time as a decision has been made.

Name: Carol Stewart

Role: Treasurer

Period Covered: March - June 2020

IN ROLE:

Financial report for 1 June

Current account - £6855.28

Deposit account - £11512.03. Interest rate has just been dropped from 0.18% to 0.01% so we'll get a bit less than £5 next quarter

NGOC50 weekend: Income - £7595.11; Expenditure - £5920.62; Surplus - £1674.49. Expenditure includes £1120.29 for ground matting..

Compass Sport Cup heat: Income - £4011, Expenditure - £2205.58, Surplus - £1805.42. Still about £50 due from NGOC runners.

I have renewed the club insurance (£351.50, slightly up on last year as I added the matting).

Nick Nourse had incurred some expenses before Lydney Park withdrew permission for us to re-map, so he has been paid £635

Alan Brown has had a flurry of orders for his O-games so we have received £176 since mid-March , just about matching Alan's expenses for extra supplies!

All BOF and SWOA levies have been paid.

The club paid £171 for British Relay Champs entries (and several members had paid their £5 subsidised fee). Do we know how these fees are being handled - retained/refunded/part refunded?

We have received a further £325.30 from Fabian4 for League fees so will need to decide how to deal with these - we said before that we would simply transfer the fee to the next event the runner could attend, or give a refund ourselves rather than involving Fabian. Keeping track might be interesting!

Tasks in progress:

Job description (at least the treasurer bit) for Alan Pucill as potential replacement treasurer.

Kit bargains list for next Legend - didn't manage to do it in time for the last one.

Tasks Planned (but not yet started): None

NOT IN ROLE:

Tasks completed: None since help at CSC event.

Tasks Progressing/planned but not started: None

Name: Simon Denman

Role: Membership

Nothing to report

Name: Kim Liggett
Role: Secretary

Nothing to report

Name: Hilary Nicholls
Role: Vice Captain

Nothing to report
